We hosted a Domestic Violence Policy Briefing in Houston at the beginning of January. Here’s the event roundup:
| – Senator Alvarado committed to carrying our Domestic Violence bill while on stage during the Policy Briefing! Additionally, her office followed up to verify that she will carry the bill in the Texas Senate. |
– A special thank you to Ibn Sina Foundation for being our presenting sponsor.
– A thank you to our sponsors: The Law Offices of Omar Khawaja PLLC and the Pakistani Association of Greater Houston.
– Thank you to Sen. Carol Alvarado, Rep. Senfronia Thompson, and Rep. Ron Reynolds for taking the time to join us and speak on our panel.
– A special thank you to our steering committee members: Raazia Nathani, Dr. Tabbussum Taqi, Sofia Shoaib, Nabila Ansari, Sana Hanif
– To see the photos from the event, visit our Facebook page. Be sure to give us a follow while you are there!
We are going to Dallas!
We are excited to announce our first event in Dallas! Join us as we host a Domestic Violence Policy Briefing Saturday, February 11th.
In partnership with the North Texas Islamic Council, This luncheon will host senior legislators in Texas as we discuss creating laws preventing domestic violence and supporting survivors. You’ll have the opportunity to hear from AND engage legislators.
Topics for discussion:
- Holding offenders accountable
- Identifying DV as an intersectional issue
- Solutions to protect and empower survivors
- Raising the profile of DV-related organizations
- Protection of the family as a means of prevention and support
Rep. Rhetta Bowers, Texas House District 113
Rep. Salman Bhojani, Texas House District 92
Rep. Terry Meza, Texas House District 105
Aisha U-Kiu, Mona Kafeel, Mujeeb Kazi, Saadia Ahmed, Dr. Sheeza Mohsin, Nosayba Mahmoud, Zafar Anjum, Abida Minhas, Hala Halabi
For sponsorship or questions, please email Kinza Baree at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (281) 401-9229.
Would you like to make a difference with us? If you’re happy with our work, we’d love for you to join us on our mission by making a $5 monthly contribution to our organization. Together, we can ensure Muslims continue to have an impact on issues facing ALL Texans.